Monday, August 8, 2016

Next Steps - What Comes Next?




As Marimoto (2008) argues: “…autoethnography challenges what counts as knowledge, making the case for first person knowledge and life experience as data…”

I am concluding this initial conversation with a promise that I will be registering a few more of my stories in the near future. I still need to write about some new learning and teaching experiences that I just had. Additionally, I have a few good stories on the Brazilian culture and some other issues that I need to share before retirement! 

My intention with this blog is to share some of the differences and similarities I have found between being a teacher in Brazil for over 15 years and being a teacher in Canada for almost 12 years. 

Cultural aspects, language, climate, work conditions, education, friendships and family are just a few of the themes I would love to talk about in my future posts.
Ellis et al (2010) argues that: “writing personal stories can also be therapeutic for participants and readers.” I certainly find writing my stories very satisfying, it makes me reflect on my practice, and if I can also help other people through my writing that would be a fantastic bonus! As my students always say: “You got your brownie points today, Mrs. Sasse!”

Thank you, Gracias, Merci :)


Reference:

Ellis, Carolyn; Adams, Tony E. & Bochner, Arthur P. (2010). Autoethnography: An Overview [40 paragraphs]. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative Social Research12(1), Art. 10, http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:0114-fqs1101108.

Morimoto, L. (2008). Teaching as transgression: The autoethnography of a fat physical education instructor. Proteus, 25 (2), 29-36. Retrieved from https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0B2Oop6sNUy2HU0pPN2RILXhkS2c




No comments:

Post a Comment