Thursday, August 4, 2016

Auto-Ethnography - What is that again?


                    
Ellis et al (2010), describe Auto-Ethnography as an: “… approach to research and writing that seeks to describe and systematically analyze personal experience in order to understand cultural experience. This approach challenges canonical ways of doing research and representing others and treats research as a political, socially-just and socially-conscious act. A researcher uses tenets of autobiography and ethnography to do and write auto-ethnography. Thus, as a method, auto-ethnography is both process and product.”

In this blog, which will be my personal journal through my daily experiences in Education, I will start a process of writing my auto-ethnography.
I will mix stories from the past, when I was a teacher in Brazil with my recent experiences of being a teacher in Canada. I will try to make sense of the things that happened to me when I was a teacher in Brazil that helped to shape who I am today. I will try to show through my current stories what I still bring in me from my life growing up and teaching in Brazil during the 70s, 80s and 90s. But I will not tell you how old I am. You might figure this one out based on the stories you will read.

I hope you enjoy reading my stories.

Now, embark with me in this adventurous journey from the past to the future!

Thank you!

PS.: In 2013, I gave an interview for the University of Calgary Courses' Program and I talked about some of the dreams I had at that point. Some of those dreams I already achieved!
Please, find on the link below a brief story of my educational trajectory after moving from Brazil to Canada. 

http://conted.ucalgary.ca/stories/students/claudiasasse.jsp 


Reference:


Ellis, Carolyn; Adams, Tony E. & Bochner, Arthur P. (2010). Autoethnography: An Overview [40 paragraphs]. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 12(1), Art. 10, http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:0114-fqs1101108.

Sasse, C. (2013). Spanish Language and Culture Certificate - Interview. In: University of Calgary ContEd. Calgary, Canada: U of C Courses and Programs Magazine. Retrieved from:
http://conted.ucalgary.ca/stories/students/claudiasasse.jsp




No comments:

Post a Comment